Pages

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Where Two Or More Are Gathered On The Internet


The afternoon of my cycling accident, (see my In The Blink Of An Eye blog), I’m lying in bed with ice packs on five places on my body and bandages on six places. I’ve counted and recounted the 12 places total where there is no longer any skin. I read somewhere that our bodies replace one billion cells each hour. I figure my body is working overtime.

Facebook is an online party and I tend to live my life out at that party. It’s my own personal reality show. So I posted a notice about my biking accident and a flood of comments show up in my mailbox. Some are sympathetic. Some are comical. Some are prayers for my return to full health. I start contemplating contemporary versions of familiar Bible verses, like: “Where two or more are gathered on the internet, ‘there am I.”  (See my What If God Were On Facebook? blog). There’s a whole virtual church praying and caring for each other on Facebook.

Just to give you an idea of the breadth, depth, and power of cyberspace support I received, here are a few examples of how my social media community kicked into high gear . . .

“We need to design a costume for you. One with lots of padding!” (Delia)

“Good news Ron, that you are doing well, but listen, I know I can talk to my grandson to let you use his trike.  It’s a lot safer to ride!  All kidding aside stay safer! I’ve seen your exercise room in your home. May not be such a bad idea to use that exercycle in there. At least there are no train tracks and Reina will know where you are, where you are going and where you have been! Saves Reina doing the picking up "Humpty Dumpty" routine, huh!....Bahaha!”  (George) 

“Keep the tires down and the handlebar up...sort of a NASCAR for cycling thingy.” (Brian)

 “Ohhh...yikes...ouch! I can vividly picture this happening, just like a bad movie! So glad you weren't seriously hurt and let the healing begin.” (Terri)

“That deserves a frozen yogurt with extra sprinkles~praise!” (Delia)

“WOW. Glad you are relatively OK” (Mark)

“My horses don't trip on railroad tracks. People tell me horses are dangerous. I see you guys flying down hills with those cute little tight pants. Snicker, tee hee!” (Vicki)

“Wow Ron. You are working those angels overtime! Take care of yourself! Glad you are ok.” (Lisa)

“So glad you are OK Ron and love that you found blessings in your mishap!! Sorry to hear about your bike.” (Kim)

“My goodness, Ron. I'm so sorry you got hurt. I know you'll be sore for a while. Take care. Thank the Good Lord you didn't get hurt any worse.” (Ginny)

“You know I was pretty much amazed by you in high school (we won't state how long ago that was), but I am continuously and joyously amazed at you now that I am grown up (HA HA!!!) Your gifts are many and you are blessed because you are a BLESSING! Thank you for still sharing your gifts!”   PS. 63 miles on a bike ... are you kidding me? Amazing!” (Karen)

“Perhaps you should have stopped @ 62 miles! LOL” (Jan)

“Sudden stops with high inertia are not good!” (Jim)

“Ouch!” (Venus)

“You've been thrown a couple of "curve balls" here lately. So glad you are okay. Could the silver lining be that now you might get a new bike?” (Barbara)

“Be careful when crossing railroad tracks!” (Ellen)

“Wow! How scary! Super glad you are ok!”  (Melissa)

“Glad U R OK”  (Troy)

“Sorry I am just now realizing to say I am glad you are ok! Take Care!”  (Dale)

“Glad you are ok! Love your take on it.”  (Srta)

Glad you are okay - be CAREFUL . . .”    (Karyn)

“Ouch! Feel better soon!”  (Jennifer)

“If it doesn't kill you, it only makes you stronger! Really glad you're okay, Ron (that feels weird to call you that). Didn't want you to think I took the fall lightly. Hope everything heals well too!”  (Mackie)

“Sorry to hear that. I'm sure relieved you didn't have more serious issues. However 10 + skidmarks ain't nothing pretty. 8-( Take it easy man!  I'm really happy your alright Mr. Bolles. Make sure you take good care of your wounds. Infection can enter the body even with the smallest of cuts. So please take care. God Bless & Goodnight!”  (Erica)

 “Ron - You are amazing!”  (Bonnie)

Oh no! I'm glad you're all right, but still.... :(   (Andria)

“Oh my! What a scare... I'm glad your ok :)    (Lucia)

“Glad you’re relatively okay”  (Midge)

“Glad you are OK, heal fast, two weeks until our first choir practice”   (Leonard)

“I am impressed by your attitude and am glad our creator had you cradled, but take it easy! You still have a lot of music and blessings to offer!!!”  (Cecelia)

And one of my favorite comments when someone saw me bandaged up the next day . . . 
Thriller video audition coming up?”  (Steve)

2 comments:

  1. Great thought! I, too, feel very blessed by my connections on FB..thanks Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That made me laugh. I loved it. Reading all of those inspired me. I liked it how one event had such a variety of flavor in responses from people. If I ever meet someone that has had a bike accident I will tell them some of those great comments.
    Keep on riding and writing.

    ReplyDelete